If you have completed courses and qualifications in the past which may have contained content relevant to some of our qualifications, you may be entitled to an exemption or recognition of this prior learning.
Consult our exemption policies below for detailed information on all exemptions available and the application process. If you're unsure of whether to apply or not, contact our Member Services team who will be happy to talk you through your options.
Our exemption policies
- Professional Certificate in Insurance and Professional Diploma in Insurance qualification awarded by UCD – Download
- Accredited Product Adviser (APA) and Certified Insurance Practitioner (CIP) designations awarded by The Insurance Institute – Download
- Exemption Entitlements for University of Limerick Graduates – Download
- Exemption Policy for Management Diploma in Insurance (MDI) – Download
Applying for exemptions
If you are eligible to apply for exemptions you should note the following:
- Applications for exemptions must be made prior to your first entry into the qualification you are registering for. This is to ensure that you are fully aware of the modules you are required to study to complete the programme from the outset of your studies.
- If you have already commenced a qualification an exemption cannot be subsequently granted.
- You will be required to submit original (not photocopied) college transcripts as part of your application.
- If you have completed non-Insurance Institute insurance exams (including CII exams) you may be entitled to exemptions. Please contact us directly at email@example.com to clarify.
- Time limitations apply to all exemption offers and they may be withdrawn or amended if not accepted within the timelines specified.
- Previous versions of Insurance Institute and CII exams will be accepted on a case by case basis.
- Successful exemption applications incur a fee. CII modules are not charged. Exemptions are only added to the applicant’s academic record once payment is received in full.
CII recognition of prior learning
Full details of the CII's policies regarding recognition of prior learning are available at www.cii.co.uk/prior-learning